Now I started building the portal and finally I could assemble all the parts. Take your time to ensure that all the components are aligned correctly and orientated to each other. A misalignment could affect the accuracy of the CNC. Use a flat surface for this. I changed the dimensions of the terminal box to fit it to my components.
There have been questions about the used components and if I could give you links to the parts I bought. Instead of writing down the links that will be useless in some years or whenever the items are removed from the shop, I will write down the technical names so you can search for them in any shop you like. All the metal hardware components were bought from aliexpress.
- 2x SBR16 linear guides 1000mm
- 4x SBR16UU linear bearing blocks
- 1x SFU1605 ball screw with single ball nut BK/BF12 end machined 1000mm
- 1x SFU1605 ball screw with single ball nut BK/BF12 end machined 300mm
- 1x SFU1605 ball screw with single ball nut BK/BF12 end machined 500mm
- 3x CNC flexible shaft coupler 6.35 x 10 mm
- 2x BF12 support unit for ball screws
- 3x BK12 support unit for ball screws
- 2x SBR16 linear guides 300mm
- 2x SBR16 linear guides 500mm
The electronic came from Letmathe. I took an Estlcam set with single stepper motor controllers and a MDLCNC Estlcam interface. I took single controllers because when one of the controllers will be damaged in teh future I can replace it seperatly and not a whole PCB unit.
Thanks for posting the list of components. After pricing each of those, I find it will be more than I want to spend. But great job on the CNC machine and the entire build.
Does Building the Solids CNC take a long time?
It depends on your skills. It took me about two month to build it. Ok, I had to film and produce videos the same time. So I could have done it in half the time.
One question. You have extended the working table, but did you also moved the portal to reach the complete working area?
Greatings Stefan de Brie
Yes of course, to come out with 20 cm more space in the Y direction I had to extend the Y-axis by 40 cm and move the portal 20 cm to the middle of the axis.
Thanks for the quick reply Michael. Keep up the good work to the simulator.